Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) is an Internet standard that is used to support the transfer of single or multiple texts and non-text attachments( graphics, audio, and video files). It uses the Internet protocol to extend the ability of emails to be displayed in more than just plain text.
MIME types tell the browsers how to handle specific file extensions, the type of file and the way the file could be served to the user. When a file is sent to a browser of your website’s visitor, it also sends the MIME type. For example, the application/pdf MIME type tells the browser it is a .pdf file and how to handle files with a .pdf extension as Portable Document Format files accordingly.
MIME type is managed by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), the up-to-date and complete list is on their Media Types list page.
You can modify, add or delete MIME type specifically for your site. MIME types are often used to handle new technologies as they become available. With MIME types, however, you can set up any type or extension for a file by using this option in cPanel and begin serving WAP pages immediately. This feature will provide you with different options for presenting various file extensions in their real format in a web browser.
How To Add Mime Type In CPanel
- Login to your cPanel
- Under the ADVANCED section, select the MIME Type option
- On the MIME Type edit box enter the file entension you want to open the file with (for example .php70). For multiple extensions, add them at once and separate with a space.
- Click the option “Add” to save the custom MIME type.
- You will get a successful message that MIME Type has been added
The added MIME Type is displayed in the user-defined MIME Types
How to Delete MIME type in the cPanel
- To remove a MIME type:
- Login to cPanel
- Under the ADVANCED section, select MIME Type option
- Under User Defined MIME Types, choose the extension(s) you want to remove and click the Delete link corresponding to the MIME type you want to delete.
- You will get a successful message of the removal of MIME type
Please note that the built-in system MIME types can not be deleted, you can only delete the MIME Types created by you.
Structure of a MIME type
The MIME type consists of a type and a subtype; these are each string which, when concatenated with a slash (/) between them, comprise a MIME type. No whitespace is allowed in a MIME type
The type represents the major general category into which the data type falls(audio or text). While the subtype identifies the accurate data of the specified type the MIME type represents to be served.
Updated about 2 months ago