WordPress is one of the most popular and powerful blogging content management systems which faces a lot of security issues and makes it vulnerable to all sorts of attacks. This throws the question– is WordPress secure?
Of course, WordPress is secure regardless of its vulnerable state. Lack of security awareness is one of the major reasons for security breaches which is why it is best to apply precautionary security measures before your website gets hacked.
Why Do You Need to secure your WordPress Website?
You risk losing important data, assets, and credibility if your WordPress website is hacked. The cost of damages cannot be measured and you sure do not want to go through the heartache of a hacked website
How do you Secure your WordPress website?
There are quite a few simple WP security tips that can help you secure your WordPress site
- Keep your WordPress and all plugins and themes up to date and remove unused plugins and themes.
- Use a strong and unique username and password for your WordPress account, and avoid using "admin" as your username.
- Limit the number of users with administrative access to your website and use strong passwords for each account.
- Change WordPress Admin URL
- Use a security plugin, such as Wordfence or iThemes Security, to help protect your website from common security threats.
- Limit the number of login attempts to your website, so that hackers can’t try multiple passwords in rapid succession.
- Use a web application firewall (WAF) to help protect your website from common web attacks.
- Keep regular backups of your website so that you can restore it in case of an emergency.
- Install an SSL certificate to encrypt data transfer between the browser and the server.
- Use two-factor authentication as an additional layer of security.
- Set up a safelist and blocklist for the admin page.
- Migrate to a more secure web host.
- Disable file editing.
- Disable the XML-RPC feature.
- Hide your WordPress version.
- Regularly monitor your website for any security breaches or suspicious activity and scan for malware
By following these steps, you can greatly reduce the risk of your website being hacked or compromised, and help ensure that your website remains secure.
Applying these security measures is a continuous process that can help reduce the risks of cyberattacks.
Updated 15 days ago