IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is an email access protocol used to configure mail accounts to a local or remote Web server. IMAP is one of the most commonly used Email protocol for receiving emails, it is supported by all modern clients and web servers. IMAP Server is always used while sending and receiving email messages. When you move to a new server or email provider, existing emails will not be available until you migrate them into the new mailbox.
Email Migration or Mailbox Migration is the process of migrating an email message (or messages) from one mail client to another mail client. To copy emails From one Server to another using IMAP, both of your servers/hosting accounts must support the IMAP email protocol, Verpex servers support IMAP.
When you switch to another hosting provider, your emails will likely need to be transferred as well. If you are moving between cPanel-based hosting providers, you should be able to take advantage of the full cPanel backup and migrate all of your settings. This is an easy method of transferring email from one server to another, using matching IMAP email accounts. You can use this IMAP tool https://imapsync.lamiral.info/X/ , it i s free and comes highly recommended.
To Transfer in IMAP Emails using an IMAP Transfer tool you will need:
An IMAP-capable local email client(Thunderbird or Outlook).
SMTP server(Outgoing Server) - your cPanel account hostname/IP address
IMAP server(Incoming server) - your cPanel account hostname/IP address
Username(email@domain): The full name of your email account
Password - the password for your email account you set during the creation process in your cPanel(please note the password for both accounts must be the same)
IMAP Port: 993
SMTP Port: 465
TLS/SSL support - Disabled
To Copy IMAP Emails to IMAP Account, follow the steps below:
- Download and install an IMAP-capable email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook.
- Start the IMAP to IMAP Migration Tool.
- Configure your email account(s) ([email protected]) to work with the settings of the previous hosting provider(email address, password and configuredusing IMAP)
- Login to your Verpex cPanel to create the same email account under your new hosting account. Use the same spelling, capitalization and password(It is important to change the password after the migration process). If you need help, follow our tutorial on How to Change your Webmail Password in cPanel
- Enter source IMAP account credentials, and enter the credentials of the destination IMAP account with all the IMAP details – IMAP Server and Port No.
- Choose the folders for migration.
- Click the next button to Migrate IMAP to IMAP account
- Once the process is completed, proceed to the next button to export IMAP emails to IMAP account.
- Use the same settings for the IMAP and SMTP.
- Add the IMAP email account you want to move emails to in your email client
- Repeat the same steps for each folder you want to copy
Using this method your email client will actually copy all messages from your current host to your Verpex cPanel email account. Once completed, your transfer is now successful and your old emails will be in your mailbox on the new server/hosting account.
The time period of extraction depends entirely on the number of emails and your Internet Speed, so give it some time to be completed. When you successfully complete the email transfer, allow some time to ensure the process has worked smoothly, and then you can safely remove the first [email protected] and continue using your mail accounts with Verpex. To host your domain's email with Verpex, you will also have to update the domain's MX records. You can find more information about the MX configuration here.
To avoid loss of emails when moving your email account from an old hosting account to another, it is a good idea to create a forwarder on the old hosting server so that emails are sent to a third-party email account. This allows you to keep a copy of emails sent to your old email account during the transfer period.
Updated 12 months ago