Connecting Notepad++ to your hosting account via an FTP connection
Notepad++ is an open-source text editing software that has a great FTP capability that allows you to edit your files directly on the server. You can use this single program to connect to your hosting account via FTP, and make modifications.,It is only compatible with Microsoft Windows users.
The NppFTP plugin allows you to use Notepad++ to connect to your server files via an FTP connection, so you can edit the web files and make changes to your website.
Steps on How to Connect to your Hosting Server via FTP with Notepad
Before you get started, get your FTP details from your cPanel.
- Install Notepad++ on your computer if not already installed
- Install the NppFTP plugin and create a new profile.
- Open NotePad++.
- Navigate to Plugins -> NppFTP -> Show NppFTP Window.
- Click the gear icon and select Profile Settings.
- Create profiles, Click Add new to start using the plugin
- In the Adding profile menu, enter a name for this FTP connection
- Click OK.
- Enter your FTP credentials as copied from your cPanel in the Connection tab.
- Set the Connection mode as Active and the Transfer mode as ASCII in the Transfer Tab
- Click close to save your configuration
- Select your new Profile.
- Click the Connect button, and choose your new connection to open it.
After establishing an FTP connection in Notepad++, it’s time to edit the files within your directory. All you need to do is:
- Connect to your server and access the directory you want to edit
- Opening FTP connection You will then see your files/ folders listed, you can double-click on any files that you want to edit.
- Save your modification by pressing the Save button.
It’s recommended to create a backup before making any changes to prevent any data loss or corrupted files.
Congratulations! You have successfully learned how to connect to your server using Notepad++.
Updated 6 months ago